Monday, December 17, 2012

mini meatball subs


Ian and I had some friends over yesterday to watch the Broncos vs Ravens game. I decided to make mini meatball subs and used a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis (which you can find here), but ended up modifying it quite a bit. To begin with, I wanted to double the recipe and Ian wasn't able to find veal at the grocery store so we ended up with 1.5 lb each of ground beef and ground pork. I doubled the other ingredients and made one batch of the meatballs, but they didn't hold together very well...so I added one more egg, another tablespoon of ketchup, and 2-3 more tablespoons of bread crumbs, plus more salt and pepper. This seemed to do the trick and the meatballs came out really well. Then I added the marinara sauce and stuck it in the fridge overnight. The next day, shortly before our guests arrived, I assemble the sandwiches, wrapped them in foil and kept them warm in the oven. They were a huge hit and very easy to serve!

Note: One change I would make to this recipe in the future is to bake the meatballs, rather than fry them. It took much longer than I thought to fry all the meatballs (partly because I doubled the recipe), and being stuck in front of the stove for so long wasn't fun. Plus, I've baked meatballs before and I think they've turn out just as well if not better.

My friend Courtney took a photo of Lute, and as you can tell, he's literally at the center of the party...his favorite place to be! I'm still not sure how a 95 lb dog is able to fit under our coffee table.


P.S.
As you may have noticed from the meatball sub picture above, we got a new camera!!!!! I'm no longer using my iphone and the difference is incredible! We went with the Canon Rebel T31 DSLR camera and are loving it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment