Thursday, February 21, 2013

Soy Sauce Glazed Flank Steak


My mom and step-dad are visiting from Oregon this week and were scheduled to get to our house about the same time that I get home from work. I knew they would be hungry from a long day of travel and I wanted to spend time visiting with them rather than being holed away in the kitchen so I was looking for quick and simple meal to prepare. I decided to serve Soy Glazed Flank Steak. I originally got this recipe from my Aunt Kim when I was in college and have been making it ever since. It's easy, delicious and always a crowd pleaser. It also makes great leftovers (if you have any!).  I marinaded the steak the night before my folks got in and had Ian throw it on the grill while I whipped up a salad and some broccolini. I think dinner only took about 15 minutes to prepare!

Ingredients

1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbs honey
2 tbs red wine vinegar
2 scallions minced
2 large garlic cloves minced
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup olive oil
1.5 lb flank steak

In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, scallions, garlic and ginger. Whisk in olive oil. Place steak in a glass or ceramic baking dish and pour in marinade, turn to coat both sides of meat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinade, turning occasionally 1-2 hours at room temperature or up to 24 hours refrigerated.

Prepare a hot fire or use a grill pan on top of the stove. Remove steak from marinade, scrapping off and reserving as much of the marinade as possible. Place steak on an oiled grill set 4-6 inches from coals. Grill, turning and brushing with marinade several times, until outside is well browned and inside is still pink and juicy, about 10-12 minutes.

Transfer to a cutting board or platter and let rest about 5 minutes before carving on the diagonal into thin slices no thicker than 1/4 inches. Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment