Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Recap

I'm happy to report that Thanksgiving went off without a hitch at the Parkman house! It was a gorgeous day in DC and it was so nice to have friends and family over. Our youngest guest, Jake, is Lute's new best friend after giving Lute copious amounts of attention (Lute's favorite thing!) and playing "football" on the back deck. I wished I'd snagged a picture of them, so cute!

I think our table turned out pretty well too! I wasn't planning on doing a floral arrangement for the table, but Ian got me this awesome Teco vase for my birthday and I thought it would look great with our plates, plus I found some beautiful flowers while I was doing a bit of last minute shopping for all of my Thanksgiving recipes and that sealed the deal. I also added some red hues with napkins and pomegranates.



I love snapdragons!

Ian and I prepping the appetizers

I've never cooked a whole turkey before, and I have to admit I was a little nervous about how it would turn out. I followed a recipe from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, which calls for you to place the turkey breast side down and then flip it half way through the cooking process to allow the bird to cook evenly and for the breasts to brown. Flipping the turkey was easier than it sounds (just use clean pot holders or towels), and I have to say, the turkey turned out great!  I like America's Test Kitchen cook books, because they do a great job explaining why they use certain techniques and give tips about the best ingredients and tools to use.






Per usual, my favorite dish of the night was one of the desserts. Smitten Kitchen's apple cider caramels were divine! The flavor was so complex and so so so good. The next day I commented to Ian that I was surprised at how few of the caramels were left (I'd made a lot, plus we had three other dessert options for only 7 of us), and he said Jake had slipped a few in his pocket before leaving. A kid after my own heart!

The caramels and white chocolate bark

I hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving as much as I did.  I certainly have much to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment